SDA eligibility and applying for funding 

We’ve compiled some helpful information about Specialist Disability Accommodation eligibility and the funding application process. Whether you’re looking for your first home or wanting to move to a house that suits your individual needs more, our tips below can answer some questions for you.

How do I know if I’m eligible for Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)?

If you are a person living with disability with very high support needs, and your current housing isn’t meeting your needs or is unsafe, you may be eligible for SDA. There are four different categories of SDA: Improved Liveability, Robust, Fully Accessible, and High Physical Support. Each category has criteria you will need to meet to be eligible for funding in that particular category of housing. Your support team will be able to assist with your National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) application.

I need funding. Where do I start?

Funding is granted by the NDIS, who assesses funding applications on a case-by-case basis. If you are already a recipient of NDIS funding, your first step will be to gather supporting material, which can include:

  • an Allied Health Functional Capacity Housing Assessment Report specific to SDA;
  • Home and Living Supports Request Form;
  • Personal Housing Statement;
  • And any additional supporting documentation that can support your claim, e.g., a letter from your GP.

Your next step is to attend a NDIS Planning Meeting to discuss further, which your support coordinator can help organise. Following this meeting, an Occupational Therapist will complete a Functional Capacity Housing Assessment for you, and if funding is approved, you can contact an SDA Provider to discuss housing options suitable for you.

What if I’m not currently receiving any funding from the NDIS?

You don’t need to be a previous or current recipient of NDIS support in order to apply for SDA funding. To live in an SDA house you do require SDA funding to be approved by the NDIS. If you’re unsure of your eligibility or would like to apply, we recommend you to speak with your Support Coordinator or service provider to discuss options.

Where do I go to look for an SDA house?

There is a handy tool available on the NDIS website called SDA finder. You can search through a list of SDA house options and filter by location, design category, number of rooms, and more. You can also visit providers websites to view advertised vacancies. Search Activ’s current vacancies.